Rhinoplasty consultation with Paul Glossop

Rhinoplasty (more commonly referred to as a nose job)
Functional Septoplasty

Postby Kretin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:45 pm

thanks, i will prob put up some pics around the time i go see IM for 7 week follow up (14th oct).

i dont know much about PG either, but by the sounds of it im sure you'll be in safe hands. on top of that you will be spending half the amount i did!

anyway good luck and keep us updated on how you get on
Kretin

Postby fk1386 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Hiya Kretin!

Congratulations on your surgery :-F . Mine is booked for the 14th Dec - so not long to go! I feel comfortable with PG but there is little feedback on him. Mind you, when I first consulted IM there was not much feedback on him either but I could see he was a competent surgeon. Now this site is full of happy IM patients!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics - have you put them up? I'm going to be so nervous come December time ):O x
fk1386

Postby Kretin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:59 pm

good to hear you have finally found a surgeon!

when i went to see IM he also did not mention my septum but then BM said i had a slightly deviated septum and it might need to be corrected depending on how surgery went or something...
in the end trusted IM because i asked him about it and he checkd again and said it was very minor so nothing neeeded....but perhaps you have more deviation than me.

anyway good luck! when is your op btw?
Kretin

Postby fk1386 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:43 am

Right, I've used the search function to find anyone who used/consulted PG & PMd them all! Hopefully, someone will get back to me with pics. Wish me luck!
fk1386

Postby fk1386 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Harri,

Thank you for the good advice. The deviation does affect my breathing which is why I want it fixed but I will def ask PG what grafts he would use. I felt so at ease in the consult I forgot to ask this basic question! He did say it wouldn't entirely sort out my easily blocked nose as I also have allergies but it would help. I guess it can't do any harm to have it fixed :dontknow:. He didn't rate my nose as being particularly hard either. I just wish there were more ex-patients who could show me their pics!
fk1386

Postby *harri* » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 am

It didn't help that he didn't acknowledge my deviated septum & instead suggested adding a small graft to correct the bend in my nose.

The problem is deviated noses tend to like where they are and revert over time. They say septum has memory. :dontknow: Therefore a graft might be the more stable approach.

Obviously I don't know but I would say it's very hard for us to evaluate techniques and IM is a very experienced surgeon.

Maybe ask Paul Glossop how he is going to fix it and what is Plan B if it doesn't work. If Plan B is the graft I'd maybe go for that if the deviation isn't affecting your breathing.

Not sure if this is good advice but maybe worth discussing. :dontknow:
*harri*
Old Timer

Postby fk1386 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks for the extra info Harri & Bubble. My op is basically simple hump removal & correction of a slightly deviated septum (which as an ENT I imagine he will have no problem with). I looked up I_23's posts & noticed she stopped posting about her runny nose so I'm guessing the problem sorted itself out. But, to be sure, I will PM her.

Bubble, PG isn't local to me but the only surgeon I wanted to see in my hometown, London, was IM & I left his consult feeling underwhelmed. It didn't help that he didn't acknowledge my deviated septum & instead suggested adding a small graft to correct the bend in my nose. This would have only addressed the aesthetics & surely the nose would continue to bend over time? I feel happy that PG will fix the deviation, thus tackling the root of the problem. He also said he wouldn't charge extra to do it. :LOL:

FoxyB84, good luck with your op & I'm sure you'll be fine! He seems competent & I got the impression he wouldn't tackle a nose he couldn't do. Let us know how you get on! x
fk1386

Postby Bubble130 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:27 pm

I know about him through the NHS and a surgery nurse and her family who work in the NHS.

He hosts the midland rhinoplasty course and has close connetions with Tony Bull.

I would say consult a few surgeons ideally but if you just want to stick to your geographic area I can`t think of anyone else up there as experienced as him . he`s Old Skool like Tony Bull and IM.

Don`t take it from me though ask around. I last saw one of his results about a year ago .

He`s done a ot of noses and uses safe conservative tehniques but as with all surgeons he`s not fullproof.

You must go on your own reserach ; this is just wht I know about him - there will be a ot more inforation to be had.

:-F
Bubble130

Postby *harri* » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:34 pm

fk1386 wrote:Thanks Bubble.

What do you know about him? There's not much info on him but he is well qualified.

I'd be interested to know too.

lyb has one poster who used him I_23 but it sounds it was a simple hump removal. :dontknow:

She's still got a runny nose several months post-op. I'm not sure how common that is. I've met one poster with this problem (different surgeon) and a webmistress used to complain bitterly about it (her surgeon was an ENT too).
*harri*
Old Timer

Postby FoxyB84 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Glad that your consultation went so well.

U have made me feel more at ease by clarifying my opinion.

My surgery is now less than a month away, so I am beginning to get nervous!

x
FoxyB84

Postby fk1386 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks Bubble.

What do you know about him? There's not much info on him but he is well qualified.
fk1386

Postby Bubble130 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Yeah

He is one of the good guys !

You are in safe hands

Bubble130

Rhinoplasty consultation with Paul Glossop

Postby fk1386 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:33 pm

I've found my surgeon!! Just had my consult with Mr Paul Glossop in Wolverhmapton & I knew by the end he was the surgeon for me. We chatted about what I don't like & he made me feel v comfortable. Normally I get nervous talking about my nose but I really felt at ease. He was very clear in his surgical plan & emphasised that my surgery requires only v small changes but that will make a good overall difference to my face.

He wants to correct my slightly deviated septum, reduce my hump & rotate the tip. He also wanted to cut a muscle that would drop my upper lip (apparently my smile is slightly gummy) but I told him I like my smile & am happy with this 'flaw'. He agreed with me & we talked about the definition of beauty, asymmetry of the face, renaissance art...lots of things! 50% of his ops are on Asians as Wolverhampton has a large Asian population (I'm Asian) & he's been doing :Rhino: since'81, at a rate of approx 150 a year. He mentioned that he trained under Tony Bull. The cost of the op was approx £3000. He really took his time in the consult (I was the last appt) & at the end, he even drove me to the train station lol! Lovely guy, nice receptionist & I booked my op there and then for mid-dec.

I will let you all know how I get on and many thanks to FoxyB84 for mentioning him on this site in the first place. I'll give my final judgement on him after my op but so far, he seems v competent & I feel assured. When we were talking about the cheap price, he told me that a lot of his patients are just normal ppl from the West Midlands who don't have bags of money, e.g. schoolteachers & he felt uncomfortable charging an inflated price. I also noticed he still does NHS work so hasn't completely sold his soul to the devil that is private practice!

Any more q's, feel free to drop me a post.
fk1386

Previous

Return to Nose Surgery (Primary & Revision Rhinoplasty)