1 month post-op - Lucian Ion rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty (more commonly referred to as a nose job)
Functional Septoplasty

Re: 1 month post-op - Lucian Ion rhinoplasty

Postby busybee » Fri May 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi can't send a pm but thanks for the pics. I think your nose looks great! And I can definitely see an improvement in definition over 1 month. I have heard it can take up to a full year to see the final result so sure it will continue to improve in definition. Have lots of people noticed/commented? Looks good though! x
busybee

Postby alliosso » Fri May 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Can i see your latest pics aswell?
alliosso

Postby rworries » Fri May 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Hiya, no problem! I've sent you a PM :))
rworries

Postby busybee » Fri May 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi
Thanks for the update it is really honest and helpful. I'm glad you are seeing some positive changes, I'm sure it will continue to improve. My consultation with Ion is in July and I'd love to see a pic if you don't mind.
busybee

Postby rworries » Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeah the congestion is usually at its worst during the night and the following morning. Sure, I'll send you a PM. I did take one photo of my nose yesterday after all!
rworries

Postby sumi12 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks, I guess it worse at night then during the day? If possible, at your convenience, I would love to see your pics if that's ok?
sumi12

Postby rworries » Fri May 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Hiya

You get used to not breathing through your nose during the first week after the operation and it's not too bad to be honest. I thought I was going to panic as well but it was fine. Having all the splints and dried blood up there made it completely impossible to breathe through it, whereas now with the congestion I can still slightly breathe but not much. I haven't really tried anything except the sinus rinse, which has been very helpful! I'm seeing Ion soon for my first post-op check up so I'll let him know about it then and see what he suggests.
rworries

Postby sumi12 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi rworries

Thanks for the update it's really informative! My only issue as I keep telling everyone is the breathing issue. Whilst this comes with RP surgery some have more congestion than others. How bad was it for you? What did you find helped? I'm scared I'll have a panic attack or something silly like that!
sumi12

1 month post-op - Lucian Ion rhinoplasty

Postby rworries » Fri May 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Well it is 1 month 1 day post-op today, as I had my op on the 15th April, but I wasn’t able to be online yesterday so it had to be today! Anyway I figured now might be a good time to update everyone on how me and my nose are doing since I had my primary rhinoplasty with Lucian Ion.

I’m not going to lie, I’m still not completely happy with the appearance of my nose. It’s definitely improved since cast off, but there’s still a lot of swelling left to subside. In addition, my profile and oblique views look different to one another but I’m really hoping this is due to the swelling. 1 month is still very early so I’m trying to remain optimistic that it will gradually look better in time. At least now I’m seeing a little definition at the nostrils, as opposed to 1-2 weeks after cast off where it was literally a fat, squashed blob on my face. I did go through all the emotions at the time but seeing the slight improvement since then has kept me feeling a little positive.

The first few days after the operation were tough – there was a lot of pressure on the nose, a little soreness and it felt completely bunged up - basically like having a bad cold. On top of that my cheeks swelled up like a hamster and the facial swelling lasted for quite some time (still have a bit left!). But you do get used to it and the rest of the week isn’t so bad, at least in my opinion. The worst part was probably the daily injections, the needle is very thin and sharp (sorry to scare any needle phobes out there) and it has to go into your sides above the belly button. The injection itself isn’t so bad, but it feels sore afterwards for a bit. But again, you get used to it and it’s only once per day.

Having the nose cleaned and cast taken off were relatively ok. I only experienced pain when the nurse took out the stitch at my septum as there was dried blood stuck to it, so she ended up yanking both off at the same time and it was very painful! Other than that, the rest was fine. Removing the splints didn’t hurt, it just felt a little strange. After that I could finally breathe, smell and taste again!! What a relief LOL

My only qualm other than the swelling would be that my nose seems to always be blocked whenever I wake up. I use the sinus rinse recommended by the nurse, and it works really well, but the blockage always comes back awhile later. Say I use the rinse at night, it lasts all day but throughout the day I can feel the ability to breathe through my nose getting progressively “worse” and by the next morning, it’s completely blocked. Does anyone know if this is normal at this stage and if it will improve? It’s quite annoying really as my lips and mouth are getting very dry and I always have to keep my mouth a little open.

Also something to note is that the taping definitely helps! I ran out of tape and from just one night of not using it, the tip of my nose was more swollen than usual and you couldn’t see the definition anymore. It almost resembled how it looked a week after cast off. I’d recommend continually using the tape until the swelling has gone down significantly. :))

Feel free to ask me any questions! I also don't mind showing pictures but I haven't taken any at this specific stage, the latest were at 3 weeks post-op.
rworries

Previous

Return to Nose Surgery (Primary & Revision Rhinoplasty)